Skip to main content

Parent Carer Needs Assessments

A Parent Carer Needs Assessment (PCNA) is a chance to discuss your caring role and how it affects you.

Some of the types of support you might be offered following a PCNA include:

  • Assistance to check you are receiving all the benefits you are entitled to.
  • Making a referral to Homestart, who can provide a volunteer to support you at home
  • Referring you to the Suffolk Wellbeing Service, who can support you to look after your own mental health and wellbeing
  • Starting a Common Assessment Framework or CAF
  • Referring you to adult social care for support with your own needs
  • Advice, strategies and resources to help you manage your child’s behaviour
  • If you have other children, we can refer them for sibling / young carers support. 

For more information on how to request an assessment, you can talk to your Family Support Practitioner or Social Worker if you have one or call Customer First on 0808 800 4005.

Further support available

The following links are to departments and/or organisations who may also be able to provide support:

Suffolk County Council commissions Suffolk Family Carers to deliver support services for Young Carers up to the age of 18.

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) provides information, advice and support to young people and children with SEN or disabilities aged 0 -25, and their parents, about education, health and social care.

Suffolk Carers Matter (now part of Communities Together East Anglia) provide support, community events and counselling for carers in Suffolk. 

All children and young people with SEND are eligible to take part in the short breaks subsidised by Activities Unlimited. Eligibility for a Short Breaks Personal Budget to support the cost of short breaks is also assessed by Activities Unlimited. 

If you need support because of your own care needs, rather than because of those of your child/young person, you may want to explore whether you require a Care and Support Assessment through Adult Services.

If you want advice and support about your child’s/young person’s emotional wellbeing you may want to explore support available through the Emotional Wellbeing Hub (East and West Suffolk) or by visiting the Just One Norfolk website for support in Lowestoft and Waveney.

The Parent Hub is a single place for Suffolk parents or carers to find parenting advice and support to help their child's development.